About UsIn the view of some critics it is believed, "Unions had their place many years ago,... I think their time has come and gone." - Edward L. Greenspan, Toronto criminal lawyer (Toronto Sun - September 22, 2008)
Just ask any worker:
To say Unions are out dated is a myth! For all of the reasons above and more is why someone joins a Union!!!
- that is unfairly treated by their employer and not paid decent wages,
- that are forced to work hours that exceed the labour laws of Ontario and not properly paid,
- that have been unjustly terminated by their employer,
- that want to improve their standard of living,
- that want to be the best trained in their industry,
- that want to work in decent and safe workplaces,
- that want medical, dental, life insurance and pensions when they retire, and
- want to be treated with dignity and respect
There are laws in Ontario that will assist in many of the points above through the "Employment Standard Act." However it is similar to any other legislated matter...it makes time and is complicated to act upon.
Many employers in Ontario provide the benefits of a Union however there are many workers that are exploited and unable to have a voice in the workplace. IUPAT Ontario (The Ontario Council of Painters of the International Union of Painters and Allied Trades) can assist you with a better standard of living anywhere in the province.